Friday, August 24, 2007

Fabric mess

Does this happen to you!?!? I don't always wash my quilting fabric, especially if it's for a miniature quilt that will never be washed. But I do always wash fabric for bed quilts. I threw a few pieces in the washer/dryer yesterday to add to a project I am working on and look at the mess that I got! I know there is a way to eliminate or reduce this problem, but I forget what it is! Any suggestions???
I need to know because I plan to make lots of fabric purchases when the kids go back to school!

7 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

On diagonally opposite corners cut the corner off. You will be wasting about 1-2" on the corners, but you will get rid of the mess.

Greenmare said...

Yup, Paula is right, just snip the corners off, or you can cut the edges with a pinking blade.
and by the way, from one "bad mom" to another, I CAN'T wait for grade school AND college!!!!!!!!!
;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy! If the pieces are small try using a lingerie bag to wash them in. See you in September ... jr

Tracy said...

The ideas above are great! I will have to try them. I have found that when I wash only one or two cuts of fabric with our clothes this is less likely to happen. When I wash a lot f fabric together I get the mess.

Beth said...

I wash all my fabrics..and I serge the edges before I wash it. Sounds like a lot of work, but I got burned once with a red fabric that ran after the whole quilt was done. Also the time I spent serging is time I save from having to detangle and iron the HECK out of all the rumpled stuff

Helen in the UK said...

I only wash larger pieces in the machine - with pinked edges or corners snipped off to reduce ravelling. Smaller pieces I hand wash :)

Sweet P said...

I agree with everyone's suggestions about the fabrics. They all work.

You're not a bad mom. I look forward to school starting and my children are grown and moved out of the house.