Thursday, April 02, 2009

Busy with Birthdays

This was a very busy week for me, with my husband's and my Mom's birthday within 3 days of each other. My husband requested a pillow for use in his Lazy Boy recliner. How could I refuse such a simple request?!? I made up two little 12" pillows so he will hopefully be able to find at least one when he needs it. They are made from the leftover pieces from my Dad's plaid quilt (click here to see it). I did not cut into any yardage to make these pillows...even the flannel backing was made from the pieces of backing leftover from Dad's quilt.
I'm sure I don't know why it gives me such a thrill to know that I used up all those little pieces that other people throw in the garbage?!? I am glad that hubby likes his pillows, and hope he gets lots of use out of them. But when he's not home, guess who loves to cuddle up with them?!?
For her birthday, my Mom wanted a celebration with some of her girlfriends. I didn't sew anything for her, but together with my sisters, we made a dinner party for 16 of her friends, complete with Hors D'Oeuvres, honey ham, scalloped potatoes, salads, etc. and of course a big birthday cake. Here is my very young looking 70 year old Mom holding the fruit arrangement I bought her from Edible Arrangements. It was a pretty, colourful display, and the fruit was delicious.

9 comments:

Quilt Rat said...

These pillows are wonderful, love the pin wheel/plaids combo, very effective and what a thoughtful hubby to ask for something that gives you joy to make!

swooze said...

Awwww Molly is so adorable!

Rhonda said...

Kathy, I love your heading. Did you make it?????

Jean said...

The pillows are so nice and manly too...love the pic with the dog! your mom is young looking and very lucky to have daughters to spoil her!

Kucki68 said...

It is a great idea, I think some pillow covers would be nice for MyGuy for Easter, too.

Greenmare said...

I love your new banner!!!! Remember I've been out of it for about a week here........... Love it!!

Bonnie said...

Kathy: Tell your mom she doesn't look a day over 55! Wow! Quilting stuff is great too. Love the little teeny bright colored squares you are working on.

And, please, keep the snow up where you are! I am so tired of winter! B.

Jeanne said...

That edible fruit is gorgeous! We have a store here, too, but nobody has bought one for me. VBG Isn't the snow crazy? Your pillow looks great and Molly is adorable.

GailM. said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Yes, that fruit arrangement looks yummy. It's very much like the one we received from our kids for the 25th. We loved the chocolate pieces in it. Our kids know we both love chocolate. It's a very nice gift.