Tuesday, September 08, 2009

D9P borders and basting


I auditioned about a dozen fabrics for the borders on my D9P and finally settled on this purple. Then I wanted to bring some of the white connecting corners out into the borders, but didn't want the white to overpower the border, so I sewed 2 diamonds on the top and bottom and 3 diamonds on the sides. 
Tada...a finished quilt top!
It sure looks different than what I had anticipated!
I just noticed that the white blocks with the connecting corners look like bowtie blocks set on a diagonal...I like that too!
In looking around at my garden it is apparent that I really do like pink and purple...my Rose of Sharon bushes bloomed at the same time as I was sewing this quilt top together...more purple and pink to enjoy! I love these bushes and really enjoy their blooming season.  I even saw a hummingbird in the blooms one day but couldn't get my camera out fast enough to snap a photo.
The next step for my pink and purple quilt is pin basting with my handy dandy Kwik Klip. I know lots of people don't like pin basting, but I still love it. I am afraid of inhaling the spray basting fumes since I don't have a large enough table outside to use, and I was very unhappy with the quilts on which I used a basting gun. So I'll stick with my favorite method for now. 
And I put the basting time to good use by practising my quilt whispering skills (you can read about my abilities here) LOL. I ask the quilt "what kind of quilting would you like" and I start to get some ideas of things I could do. Some ideas I refuse outright because they are too labour intensive but the other ideas I make note of and let them percolate while I finish the basting. Then I usually quilt a "stitch in the ditch" grid horizontally and vertically to stabilize the whole thing and then I go to town with the free motion.

7 comments:

Gina said...

beautiful flower photos.

I've started to quilt whisper aswell when I pin my quilts. Hubby thinks I'm mad

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Quirky said...

The extra white diamonds are a great touch! Enjoy the pinning!

Ruthie said...

I love it! I have a question about the D9P. Do youhave to do some special pressing to get the seams to nest?

Rose Marie said...

This is the prettiest D9P that I have seen so far .... beautiful job and I really like what you did with the border.

I am glad to see that someone else does the ditching stitch to help stablize when doing free motion quilting.

Beautiful flowers!

Ginger Patches said...

Kathy the Quilt Whisperer...I love it lol!!! I love what you did with the whit in the borders, really adds a lot of interest!

Jean said...

Love the quilt...I am a little worried about the whispering, though, but I guess it could just be our little secret!

Bonnie said...

I thought you had sashed bow tie blocks. I make bow tie blocks as leader/enders when I have nothing else ready to do.

If horses can be whispered to why not quilts. Maybe I should give it a try to see if I can come up with some ideas...!