Monday, September 21, 2009

Design Wall Monday

I spent some leisurely time over the weekend sewing blocks for group quilts.

The first blocks on my design wall are for my quilt guild's BOM.  Our tireless charity quilt coordinator Donna organizes and cuts up donated fabric and gives out kits at the monthly guild meetings. We take the kits home, sew up the blocks and bring them back to the next meeting. Then we have Quilt Bee days to sew the blocks together into quilts. It's a lot of work to coordinate the fabric, select patterns, and make up the kits but Donna does a great job, as did our previous coordinator Joan. By the end of the guild year we have about 50 quilts to donate. This one will be one bright, scrappy quilt!
The other blocks on my wall are for a group quilt - scrappy churn dash blocks using the pattern on quilter's cache. On the screen some of the blue fabrics look teal...hmmm. I had a great time digging around in my scraps and coming up with some different blocks.
If you would like to see the design walls of about 25 other quilters, click here .

5 comments:

Kim said...

Very nice Churn Dash blocks! :o)

Judy D in WA said...

HI Kathy, the churn dash is one of my favorites. And I love the strings. They are so much fun.

Anonymous said...

I just left Stillmeadow Quilting blog and she's making churn dash blocks. They are one of my favorite quilt blocks and I may make me some too. Enjoy your stitching. xo

Nicole said...

One of my very first quilts was in a Churn Dash block. Back in the 80's, I made it for my daughter's bedroom all in yellow and greens and white.

Rose Marie said...

Next to a 9-patch, these blocks would be my next favourite. Yummy colours.