Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hilary Rice quilt finished

Last May my quilt guild brought Hilary Rice from Newfoundland to teach 2 classes for us. At the guild meeting last week we were encouraged to bring in our finished pieces from those classes, which is a great idea to motivate people to finish a project.
It worked for me! I was so close to finishing, but the quilt was drifting to the UFO pile, just because I kept thinking it was almost finished but didn't pick it up to do the last bit of quilting. I tried out my new free-motion quilting foot and really liked it. I have a Brother sewing machine and this is a Janome foot, but it worked great. I decided to try to quilt each section with a different pattern and that was lots of fun.
When the quilting was done I cut an uneven edge, just cutting around the quilt with my rotary cutter - first time ever that I didn't use a ruler to cut an edge, and I was happy with how that turned out. I made a two colour binding using batiks since I couldn't find the leftover hand dyed fabrics.
I loved working with these hand dyed fabrics that were in our kits and the curves technique was not as difficult as I thought it would be.


If you want to make a similar quilt, you can order the pattern and fabrics from Hilary - click here to go to her pattern page and you can order her newest pattern here.

9 comments:

Heather said...

wow, how freeing to now worry about perfectly straight edges. love the effect.

Linda said...

This is lovely. The quilting is wonderful! Good job...hugs, Linda

Debra said...

Way cool!

Diane said...

Oh man that is so cool....good job!

Vicki W said...

Very pretty! Aren't you glad you finished it?

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Lovely quilting... glad you finished it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary Johnson said...

You did a great job on the quilting -- all the textures play well together too. The uneven edge adds even more interest.

Jean said...

That is awesome, love the quilting. I did the sky, land and sea pattern that I found several years ago when visiting my sister in Canada. I handquilted most of it, but still have a bit left to do. It is hanging where I see it all the time, so maybe I have pretended to myself that it is finished! lol Hopefully your finish will motivate me to finish mine.