Saturday, January 29, 2011

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Blue

Last Saturday I posted my scrappy blue quilt top with 35 blocks and this week I was able to get 7 more blocks from my scraps to make an extra column of blocks bringing it to 42 blocks, and even had a 7" x 1 1/2" strip of the light background to spare!
Although I was unable to find more of my original background/light fabric, I did find something similar, and then I got the great idea to use my new book "Word Play Quilts" by Tonya Ricucci and learn to make the letters of my nephew's name to put across the top of these blocks. (You should check out the UnRuly Quilting blog and see some of the fun projects posted there.)
It was so much fun to make UnRuly letters! I used my new light background fabric (which is a lovely sky print from Northcott's Stonehenge line) with more of my blue scraps.
I had a few mistakes learning opportunities along the way.
The letter on the left doesn't exactly look like an "H" but that was fairly easy to fix. Also, I had a little trouble with the letter "N" and decided to start over with that one. Isn't the "N" on the left much nicer than the one on the right??
Eventually I made all 6 letters following the wonderful directions in the book, and was very happy with how it turned out.

This is my scrappy blue quilt top (48" x 56") with my nephew's name at the top. I am thinking of paper piecing 2 airplane blocks (his current interest) for each side of his name. And I'll be on the lookout for some airplane fabric for borders.
I am so delighted with how this project is coming along...from a long forgotten (and much detested) project, to a very cool quilt top with a fun optical illusion effect, on it's way to becoming a gift! Thanks again to Angela for motivating me to dig out this project with her Rainbow Scrap Challenge (click here to see the last of the blue scrap postings...soon we'll get a new colour!)

11 comments:

Debbie said...

This is a great quilt! I love seeing how it evolved from a scrap project to a special gift.

Janet said...

Your letters turned out very well. I just got Tonya's book in the mail today. I love your quilt and so will Hunter.

pcflamingo said...

That is really beautiful. I mean handsome! For your nephew! Lurking and following your progress, I just had to track down the latest Bento Box pattern with lots of setting arrangements. Can't wait until I have time to make one.

AnnieO said...

Great job on the letters and rescuing a project you had no love for! It all looks just terrific. I'm planning some word play too, soon :)

Lilian Pilar said...

me gusta como va tu quilt,
esperando el nuevo color
Feliz domingo

I like how will your quilt,
waiting for the new color
Happy Sunday

Ellen said...

You did a great job on this quilt. Your nephew is sure to love it!

scraphappy said...

I love your quilt! The name and airplanes will make it perfect and so personal! I am so happy that you were able to pull out an old UFO and turn it into an almost finished quilt top!!! Great work.

julieQ said...

I love your letters!!! How much fun is that!

Kate said...

Looking good! The letters are great. It's so cool that it's gone from unloved to lovely. I really like the optical effects you get from this block.

Greenmare said...

this is a GREAT quilt top!! how fun!

Marla said...

Love this!