Sunday, May 29, 2011

Quilt Auction 2011 Report

It was quite a cool day for the New Hamburg quilt auction this year and the turn out seemed better than ever, perhaps because the lack of sun, cool temperatures, and the constant threat of rain caused all the gardeners to come to the auction (to read the local newspaper report- click here).

I missed out on buying some tea balls on Friday night, so I foolishly stood in line for one hour on Saturday morning for these darn things (yes, during the quilt auction... won't do that again!) ...but OMG they are so good! There are few things in life that I enjoy more than coffee and tea balls, while watching a fabulous quilt auction!
Our "Chicklets" quilt was #15 (of 201 quilts) and it sold for $325. This is a very washed out photo of the quilt being auctioned. We hope that this quilt has found it's way to a happy home with lots of children to cuddle!


The feature quilt was #150 and sold for $9,000! To see this quilt and description - click here. This is NOT a cuddle quilt...it's an amazing piece of art!




Remember the paint chip block challenge I worked on in March? (You can see my blocks here and all the blocks here).


This was quilt #186 and it was sold for $1,050!!
You probably can't see the fabulous hand quilting on the border in this photo, but it was amazing. And it had a very cool label that I wish I had a better photo of.


What else do you want to know?
The 75 block kits that we made up (to create a quilt for next year's auction) are gone! If you desperately wanted one and missed out,  I might be able to get my hands on an extra one for you... just let me know!
And if you want to see the arena where the quilt auction is held, someone posted a video on YouTube of the choir - click here to see the video (turn on your sound). Maybe next year I'll be technically sophisticated enough to post a video of the quilt auction on my blog...wouldn't that be something?!?!

5 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

That's a very good selling price for your quilt. And the feature quilt-- OMG!! Amazing! Looks like lots of money was raised.

brenda said...

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the quilt report. I missed the auction this year and really wanted to know what the feature quilt sold for as I had 2 blocks in it.Those teaballs are delicious aren't they.

Amy said...

oh wow......what an amazing quilt you shared with us! The unique layout of those "traditional" blocks is quite breathtaking. So beautiful.

Kate said...

Amazing feature quilt! It has to feel good to see all quilts you had a hand in go do so well.

Quilt Rat said...

One day I WILL get there, there was just so,SO much to do in the region this past week....it has been quilt heaven :-)

I absolutely love the setting they chose for all of those (and yours) blocks, beautiful quilt!!!