Saturday, March 31, 2012

Scrappy Saturday - Last pink post

Pink is the colour of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Last Saturday I showed the first mini quilt I made from some Kaffe Fassett scraps from my friend Marjorie. 
This week (in between machine quilting my March UFO) I made another little mini using one of my favorite techniques, which I would call "confetti piecing". 
I have heard it called many other things, but I first saw the tutorial on the Lady Harvatine blog in 2007 and so that's what I've always called it. It's a very fun method of sewing little scraps to background strips and making a quilt from the resulting blocks. 
I had a great time picking out some pink threads and after I did some random lines of vertical machine quilting, I became obsessed with adding some hand stitching. And then some pink beads jumped on there and the lines became curvier, and...well, it was just too much fun!  
This quilt made me realize how much I have changed from the days of following a pattern to make a quilt exactly like the one on the pattern, and worrying about if the quilt will "turn out right", to just enjoying the process and just making each decision as it comes along according to what I intuitively feel is best, and trusting that the decisions I have made will result in something good. A great quilting lesson, and a sometimes difficult life lesson.
Then I had to put on some pink nail polish to co-ordinate with the quilt binding (and the colour of the month) to stitch down the binding. The finished size of this quilt is 10" x 14" and will be donated to my quilt guild's mini quilt raffle at the May quilt show.
To see what other scrappy quilters are sewing with their pink scraps today, hop over to SoScrappy.

20 comments:

AnnieO said...

Very exuberant mini! Funny how things change as your skills and comfort are altered through the years :)

scraphappy said...

Great little quilt -- it has fun written all over it. Thanks for the link to the technique. It reminds me a bit of ticker tape quilts, but I like this method better. Love your backing fabric, is it Kaffe?

Janet O. said...

This little mini makes me smile. It is so fresh and free. Kudos on loosening up your quilting nature. Wish I could do it!

Elaine M said...

Lovely little quilt. Love that you added hand quilting with the machine. So fun!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful little mini quilt!!

Char said...

Great mini, it's a fitting way to end the month!

Mary said...

Cute Confetti quilt. Love the PINK polish too. Did you add the beads while you were stitching?

*karendianne. said...

Wow. Another fabulous work of artistry. I do understand intellectually what you describe about going with each step in the process and I quite enjoy seeing how it brings such divine work - truly from the heart. Yes, intellectually I understand and admire. But I think it's safe to say I'm a pattern girl and, well, I'm ok with that. I do make every effort not to follow directions tho and being a hand pieces I have other opportunities but nothing as kewll as this!

Edith said...

Such pretty little quilts you are making with the Kaffe Fassett fabric, enjoying your embellishment.

Teresa in Music City said...

How cute is that!!! Love your quilting stitches & the beading - such a fun little quilt!

Thelma said...

That turned out great, hard to go wrong with Kaffe Fassett and pink! Love your matching nails!

Jean said...

Very cute! I understand obsession.....

Cathy Tomm said...

Super cute. I just love the hand quilting and beads you did.

Elly D said...

Oh WOW! This is fabulous! Love it!!

Vivian said...

This is such an impressive way to end the month -- both the design of your piecing and your combination of machine + hand quilting. Love the addition of the beads. How fun to just start and see where the process leads you.
Cool little project!

Ellen said...

Your mini quilt is gorgeous! You are so right - I think our projects turn out so much nicer when we add our own little bits of personality to them. It is great that you have learned to trust your instincts!

Judy D in WA said...

Cute, cute, cute!!! And fun! I love the quilting, both hand and machine and the addition of the beads is perfect. Cute!

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

This little pink number is super cute, love it.

Merilyn said...

I just love the utility quilting you did on this creative and beautiful quilt - very inspirational - I love it!!!

Bethany said...

This quilt is fantastic! I'm a huge fan of pink. Thanks for the link to the tutorial :)