Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Photography Course - Advice From A Tree

I finished my online photography course at Superhero Photo called "Elevate the Ordinary". I enjoyed completing the assignments, and reflecting on the themes that were presented. Andrea Scher is so inspiring... if you are not familiar with her work, just read this one blogpost and tell me if you don't feel immediately more hopeful about life, and less critical of yourself.
I've had many ongoing problems with my camera (and my sewing machine, which will hopefully be rebuilt if the repair wizard can find the necessary, but "not being made anymore", parts ... seriously, what is with all my recent technical glitches?) and I wasn't very happy with many of my photos (forget what I said above about being less critical of oneself!)
But I forged ahead anyway with the Leonard Cohen's mantra:  "Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act". I want to be able to capture memorable moments and feelings, and use those snapshots to increase joy and love in my life, my family, and my community. 
Soon maybe, eh Leonard Cohen?!?! LOL
Anyway, one of the course assignments was to photograph your favorite tree.
This is mine
I have "known it" since 1988, and it is leaning more precariously over the water each year.
I love weeping willow trees. What a great name for a tree. Did you ever wonder why it is called that? 
Here's some info from 20-20 website:
"Few trees offer more drama than the Weeping Willow. World-famous botanist Carl Linnaeus named the tree after mistakenly believing that it was referenced in the Bible. It turns out that the tree he was thinking of was a poplar. Still, the name stuck and for centuries the Weeping Willow has been used as the symbol for grief, sadness and sorrow."
There is just something so stately and elegant about these trees, and they usually grow near water, so that's a bonus too! 
My favorite willow tree is old, and gnarly, has obviously weathered many injuries, and is still beautiful and inspiring to me.
I first saw this wonderful poem on the Raspberry Rabbits blog...





Advice From A Tree by Ilam Shamir


"Dear Friend,
Stand Tall and Proud.
Sink your roots deeply into the Earth.
Reflect the light of a Greater Source.
Think long term.
Go out on a limb.
Remember your place among all Living beings.
Embrace with your joy the changing seasons,
for each yields its own abundance;
The Energy and Birth of Spring,
The Growth and Contentment of Summer,
The Wisdom to let go like leaves in the Fall,
The Rest and Quiet Renewal of Winter.
Feel the wind and the sun
and delight in their presence.
Look up at the moon that shines
down upon you
and the mysteries of the stars at night.
Seek nourishment from
the good things in life;
Simple pleasures
Earth, Fresh Air, Light.
Be content with your natural beauty.
Drink plenty of water.
Let your limbs sway and dance in the breezes.
Be flexible.
Remember your roots.
Enjoy the view..."

If you would like to enjoy the poem set to relaxing music...

7 comments:

LuAnn said...

I'm going to print out the poem to put up in my sewing room. The tree has great advice! Beautiful post and photographs.

julieQ said...

OH, how I loved this post, Kathy...and trees have their own special energy and charm, don't they?

Teresa in Music City said...

Ahhhhh yes!!! Trees are always a source of fascination and contemplation for me. I can sit and stare at trees for hours in a state of total peace and relaxation. My husband and I moved several years ago because there just weren't any trees around our house and we realized how much we genuinely missed that! Thanks for sharing the poem - it's a bulletin board keeper =^..^=

Janet O. said...

This was delightful, Kathy. Thanks for sharing it with us. That poem is a keeper!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks for the link to the Superhero post - marvelous!

LOVE your tree photos . . . and the phrase "elevate the ordinary" is marvelous.

Thanks for the bright spot(s) today!

Cathy Tomm said...

Thank You Thank You. I got my prize today for your 1000th post give a way. I did not know the fabric was included, I thought it was the pins and binding clips. I am working on my star struck binding so I will have to try them out. Love you weeping willow. I hope it does not fall over, it sure is leaning over the water. The mail package was so nice to get today.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love the picture of the sun coming throught the branches of your tree. interesting photos are all about finding a different perspective and you have definitely done that!