Saturday, September 22, 2012

September FNSI

We had a great time at Friday Night Sew-In last night! The time went by too quickly as always, but in addition to the visiting and catching up with each other's lives, some progress was made on quilting projects. I got all the orange squares laid out and ready to sew together for my Knot block for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

Then I was forced to do some hand stitching to fix one of my daughter's favorite tops... "no pressure Mom, I'll just stand here and wait, because I really want to wear that... right now"! She learned that putting a beaded top in the washing machine results in the threads being stretched. So I re-attached the beads and off she went to her party, and FNSI resumed.



Some celebrating went on...we were so happy to be together for Friday Night Sew-In! 
Note to self, when you see pink elephants on parade, you have had too much to drink!!

I got my block sewn for the Erin Fall Fair block challenge. There were 3 fabrics in the block kit - one of the beige backgrounds, the green in the lower left spool, and the button border. I can't wait to see all the blocks submitted!







We enjoyed watching some of Bonnie Hunter's Quiltcam. Sandy and I went to a Cathedral Stars class with Bonnie in Michigan two years ago and last night we got to see each other's quilts. Well, Sandy's is a finished quilt, and you might have guessed that mine is still a top. It won a 3rd prize ribbon at the Fergus Fall Fair last weekend! It's amazing how similar the quilts look, but also how different in the chosen colourways. After seeing Sandy's quilt, I am really motivated to finish mine. And after FNSI, I am so stoked to sew that I can't wait to finish my chores today and get to my machine! Happy Quilting!

14 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

Love your orange block.
Beads! I love how she waited while you fixed it. :)
Your challenge block is fabulous. You are so clever!!
Pink elephants....hahaha
Be sure to send your photo to Bonnie, she will love it.

Sheila said...

Love your orange block! Spools quilt, too! Quilts. Repairs. You have been busy!
Is your spools block a nine patch with triangle squares in the corners?

LuAnn said...

I love that orange polka dot fabric, and you have a great selection of orange fabrics. And what a great border print with the buttons on the spool quilt!

scraphappy said...

Look at all your great orange fabrics! What a great FNSI you had. Motivation to finish a top is always such a good thing. Good luck getting it done now that you have some inspiration.

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Your orange block is going to be beautiful! And love the spools. :) Great FNSI!

Char said...

Sounds like you had fun. Those orange blocks will be great.

Josie said...

Love all your orange fabrics.. the block looks fabulous. Your mending takes me back to when I used to expect my mum to fix things for me... in a hurry of course! ;o) Looks like a bunch of talented ladies had a great FNSI together.... how many pink elephants did you count? ;o))

Browndirtcottage said...

Hey, I'm soooo lovin' that orange!!

Angie said...

Your orange knot block is going to be awesome! And I love the spools quilt. All the colors and the border just work perfectly together!

Nanna said...

love your blocks, you got a lot done, I love the idea of having a sewing party for FNSI
Helen

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

I really like the orange block! Can't wait to see more of this :)
It's great to share a night of crafting with friends, especially when so much was accomplished!

Julie said...

Looks like you had a very productive night! Watch out for pink elephants!

Kate said...

Looks like you had lots of fun, including with the pink elephants. Love your Spools project.

Jennifer Wingard said...

Oh, I wish I had sewing friends so I could have an FNSI sewing party too! Love the orange block. :)