Thursday, April 18, 2013

Good News - A Finished Quilt!

Machine quilting with walking foot
This is going to be called the FUN quilt! I started it at a quilt guild party with many wonderful friends, and I had such a great time quilting it. 
Quilt Backing

I knew I had to use a "forgiving" quilt design, because the backing was wonky, plus I had stitched together 4 chunks of leftover batting, and that turned out wavy too.
So I decided on a very simple quilt design - just some straight wavy lines (is that an oxymoron?!?) 
Simple. Stress-free. FUN!


If you are not confident about your machine quilting but would like to improve, you must try this. Put on your walking foot and just quilt vertical lines across your quilt. It holds the layers together and it is very forgiving. For more great information about quilting with a walking foot, hop over to PetitDesignCo. and you will find enough ideas and inspiration to last the rest of your quilting days! The walking foot design I used is shown on day 9






I added a scrappy binding and then enjoyed some relaxing hand stitching while watching the Masters golf tournament on Sunday.
The sun even came out to shine on the quilt for a photo op!
This quilt will be donated to my guild's comfort quilt project, and I know it will warm a little girl's heart.

I am linking this post to Patchwork Times and TGIFF...
lots of inspiration to enjoy!

21 comments:

Greenmare said...

love it!!!! super happy quilt!!!

pinsandneedles said...

Sweet quilt! It will be loved.

Judy D in WA said...

Perfect quilting! It turned out great and someone will be thrilled to be cuddled in it.

Deanna W said...

Is there anything better than finishing a quilt...WAIT....
Starting a new one!!!! haha

Northern Blog Stalker is watching!!!

Betty Lou said...

Such a fresh, fun quilt. Will check out wavy machine quilting. Thanks for the tip.

Sheila said...

Beautiful, colorful quilt, Kathy. Most excellent blog link. So many walking foot quilting ideas. I use the quilting wavy lines often. They are easy and give motion to the quilt and make a strong quilt.

beaquilter said...

that's just adorable, love the binding!

Janet O. said...

A Very happy quilt, Kathy. A real smile maker!!
Yes, sounds like an oxymoron to me--and I love oxymorons. : )

Lee said...

"Like" - the colors, the pattern and the simple quilting :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congrats on the finish - LOVE the scrappy binding!

Elaine M said...

Lovely, looks great in the sun. Fun quilting. Will warm some girls heart.

Missy Shay said...

I love the colors and the pattern you used!

Linda said...

Love it. The colors are great and the quilting turned out great. Good job.

audrey said...

Thanks for the machine quilting link. I want to figure out how to at least finish a baby quilt without being ashamed of it.:) Very sweet quilt! The wavy lines are perfect!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love the fabrics and design. Makes me feel nice and calm and that's no easy feat.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Such a happy looking quilt - love your wavy quilting!

Anonymous said...

love the simplicity of the quilt, looks very sweet!

audrey said...

What a fun pattern! I love the design, and the final product really does look like a lot of fun! :)

Kate said...

Congrats on the finish, it's a lovely quilt.

Allison said...

beautiful! the colors are so pretty :)

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

It just sings spring! Great job!