Thursday, May 30, 2013

Layer Cake Mystery - week 4


It's almost the end of "May For Me", and I have made a conscious effort to make time daily to do some sewing on the  layer cake mystery. There was a lot of block trimming, which was not fun, but it had to be finished before the fun sewing could start!
When sewing the blocks together, I found a few issues, such as places where I sewed too scant of a seam allowance. Those kinds of issues I always fix because I don't want the quilt to unravel in the future.

Then I started to sew the blocks into rows...my favorite part! This is going to be really scrappy looking because I am picking up blocks randomly to sew. I am happy with the evolving distribution of the dark blue. The red could be more evenly spaced, but it's not too terrible. 
"Random" does not equal "evenly balanced" LOL
Hop over to Aunt Reen's place to see the other layer cake mysteries being created, and then over to Marcia's for May For Me postings.

6 comments:

scraphappy said...

Glad you persevered through the trimming in order to get the blocks together. They look great! Now the best part -- quilting! Enjoy.

Aunt 'Reen said...

This is going to be so gorgeous Kathy! You also made awesome time in putting this one together. Congratulations.

Betty Lou said...

I like this zig zag quilt and the extra little half row in between the ZZs. Your scrappy looks good.

Janet O. said...

That would have been a lot of trimming. I may have given up, but I'm glad you didn't. What a wonderful, scrappy design!

Threeundertwo said...

I love this! The colors just dance across the quilt. Can't wait to see it all put together.

Rosa said...

It looks fabulous and love your fabrics choice.Can´t wait to see it finished!