Saturday, June 08, 2013

Scrappy Saturday - Spools

June is yellow month for the Rainbow Scrappers. I found some yellow strips that my friend Barb shared with me to use up ...so fun, love the bananas! 
I was getting organized to start cutting  some yellow Alamo Star blocks, and got completely distracted with the idea of trying some spool blocks. Last summer Bonnie Hunter suggested making spool blocks as a leader-ender project, but I already had a couple leader-enders on the go, so I resisted starting spools. Until now. 


I realized they are the perfect blocks to use up leftover 1.5" strips. Many scraps can be cut to this size and used up in this kind of block. I sorted scraps from my bin and started putting pieces into a "spools" box to cut when I have a chance...and look at the pile that is ready to sew! I even started to feel very organized and hopeful about organizing my sewing room and getting control of the scraps.
So now the problem is that my two "leader-ender" projects are vying to be my primary sewing project, and that is totally defeating the purpose!  Maybe the novelty will wear off and I can get back to the projects I'm supposed to be working on!
Hop over to SoScrappy's and enjoy more yellow postings.

13 comments:

Julierose said...

Hah! I know what you mean! Every time I visit BH's site, I want to make "one of those"! I have about 4 "leader-enders" now--I just switch off and on--I figure they'll get done someday...hugs, Julierose P.S. Love those banans

scraphappy said...

"Supposed to be" is such a strong word when it comes to quilting. Shouldn't we all go where the inspiration strikes when it comes to our passions? I get sidetracked too on a regular basis, but eventually it all gets done.

Kate said...

I decided not to fight it. Sometimes I have a couple of leader and enders projects going. So I'll go ahead and run two leaders and two enders before after my main project. You make progress on three projects at once. It works for me. I think to do any more than two would make it too confusing.

Sheila said...

I Know what you mean. I decided not to fight it either. Haha.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

My eyesight is dimming and I'm sitting her trying to read that yellow word.....duh.....it's yellow....LOL. Today is mushy brain day. Love your yellow fabrics. No sewing here until maybe next week. Lots of family things going on.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

My L/E projects sometimes take over too... then I figure as long as I'm sewing something it's all good! Pretty yellows~

Lee said...

I see I'm not alone with that issue, hehe. I too have 3 or 4 leader/ender 'projects' crying out to be done along with my regular projects.

Janet O. said...

Another leader/ender takeover! When will we ever learn that leader/enders are not all that well behaved and tend to butt in line with great frequency? And we innocently continue to believe that they will be manageable. Oh well, you gotta love 'em! : )

Cathy said...

I keep trying leader/ender projects but I just can't seem to work like that! My spools started out as L/E projects but is now one of it's own as are all other projects started as L/Es! I like using some fun novelty fabrics in projects too. They embed a smile in a quilt.

Sarah said...

I always seem to be two paces behind everyone else (LOL) Ive only just found out what leader/ender blocks are! Such a great idea. Your yellows are lovely by the way!

Amy said...

LOL!
You are not alone in the challenge of resisting turning leader-ender projects into full-blown "current projects."
Looking great!!!!

Deb A said...

Don't you just love when the l&e's decide they want to be the mail project!

Angie said...

L-E spools are like potato chips - you can't make just one!!