Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tuesday Treadling

I have been giving my treadle machine (and my legs) a good workout!  It is the perfect activity to do when you can't sleep, because the machine is very quiet, and it is calming and relaxing.
Here are 12 of my recently made scrap bars. I am sewing my scraps onto pieces of old adding machine tape. The tape is perfect for a foundation that is sturdy enough to sew on and easy enough to rip off. I now have over 60 bars sewn.


This is not a great photo of my Singer treadle but it does show my set up...
large, sharp scissors, adding machine tape, and a basket full of old scraps.
And see the cute thread pin doily that Mary from Washington made for me? It makes me smile every time I sit down to treadle...thanks again Mary!
How big will this quilt be? Well, I have been using this technique to learn and practice treadling, and when the adding machine tape runs out, that is how many blocks it will be! The next challenge will be to perfect the 1/4" seam when sewing the bars together.

13 comments:

Ellen said...

You go girl...exercising while quilting...gotta love it!!

Anonymous said...

Such a great idea! I have never really used my treadle, though, I have made lots of blocks on one of my handcrank machines. I love the adding machine tape idea. I look forward to seeing your finished quilt!

Marie said...

This is SO GREAT! And the fact that you're using a treadle even that much more fun. Can't wait to see more.

Janet O. said...

Who said sewing was a sedentary activity? Look at you go, burning calories and sewing at the same time! : )

Nifty Quilts said...

LOVE your scrappy bars! I like the idea of exercise while sewing.

Mary said...

I love seeing the Treadling posts. Thanks for the shout out. I had fun making the spool pin doilies.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Looks like great fun... and I totally can see how it would be relaxing too!

Kate said...

What a great way to practice.

Raewyn said...

Wonderful!! I hae a treadle machine that I want to sew a project on... maybe something like this would be a good idea? I have no idea what to do about needles etc for her though?

Sheila said...

Love those scrappy bars. Never thought of adding machine paper. You go girl!

Amy said...

Excellent use of adding machine tape. I never woulda thunk it!
I enjoyed picturing your relaxation of serene treadling ... mindless sewing the string/crumbs. Love it.

libbyquilter said...

you are getting much further along since i last seen a post on these adding machine strips. it's good to see your progress and they are going to make a really fun quilt.

:-)
libbyQ

Elaine Adair said...

I no longer EVER purchase the border fabric - like you, it frequently doesn't actually work in the end. So, I reason that I'm going to allow myself yet ANOTHER pleasure at the Quilt Shop (or stash) and enjoy the fun of choosing the border fabric. This border turned out GOOOOD!