Wednesday, October 16, 2013

And speaking of pumpkin seeds...

I started a new project.
It's Google's fault.
All I did was Google "pumpkin seeds quilt block" and I found a little quilt-along over at the Quilts by Cheri blog that was too sweet to resist.
So, I guess it's Google's and Cheri's fault! 
I used one orange fabric, and went scrappy on the 48 HST blocks to use up some beige/tan odds and ends.


I decided to piece this little project on my white Featherweight machine, which I call "Sweet Baby Jayne". 
This machine makes a perfect 1/4" seam, so the blocks came out the right size every time! I really enjoy sewing on this machine. In addition to enjoying the gentle sounds and the lovely stitches of the featherweight, no matter what else is going on in my life, it reminds me how blessed I am to have wonderful, generous friends (if you missed the original posting, you can read the story here). 

The wonderful feelings of working with this machine were briefly interrupted by realizing that I had exactly the right amount of orange fabric, and I mean I just squeaked by. 
Scared cartoon boy
Cartoon from McGill blog
There were a few tense moments after I had cut the binding and realized I still needed 4 more 2" squares but had no fabric left. One square came from the end of the binding, and the other 3 squares were pieced from scraps that were already in the trash. That was cutting it a little too close for comfort!


8 comments:

Deb A said...

You are too funny! Sounds like you had the perfect amount for the quilt along.

sandi s said...

Your little quilt is really cute. I love your featherweight. I have a black one which I love. I would love to get one like yours too. Hugs,

Bonnie said...

Scary to have to piece stuff rom the trash! Think if trash dy came up before you finished! And, yes that is a cute little block.

Lesley said...

What a sweet little quilt. I bet your Featherweight is very happy sewing those blocks together!

libbyquilter said...

oh that IS a cute little quilt~!
i have my fabric picked out for this QAL but haven't gotten any further on it. however seeing yours makes me want to get right to work on it.
i know exactly how you feel about your featherweight because i feel the same way about mine. they are just the most wonderful little machines~!!

:-)
libbyQ

margaret said...

what a panic re the fabric, so good you managed to find what you need e in the scrap trash, a very nice block

Kate said...

Glad you were able to "eek" by on the fabric!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I have a featherweight just like that. I call her The Baby.