Friday, October 25, 2013

Another machine?

Are you kidding me?
Who needs another sewing machine? Certainly not me!
When I was at my brother's house this summer, there was a little second hand shop beside the grocery store that had a pretty blue sewing machine in the window. I went in there to visit the machine a couple of times over the summer. As my brother got sicker, I thought more and more about that machine. 


Why? I have no idea!  Perhaps a happy distraction?
I decided that if it was not sold by the day of my brother's funeral, it was meant for me and I was going to buy it. 
And so I did.



It is such a pretty blue White machine, don't you think? I have never seen one like it before. And in such pristine condition!  It came with the original manuel, box of accessories, and a cute little oil can.
I have no idea how old this machine is. It is hard to find information online about dating White machines. If you have any leads, please leave me a comment. 

I am sure my piecing will improve immediately with this new Precision Super Deluxe sewing machine!







Good things about her:
-she is so pretty and blue and shiny!
-she only cost $50!

Bad things about her:
-she weights a ton and I can barely lift her. No plastic parts on this baby! Just look underneath this machine. She is meant to live and work hard forever. Maybe that should be under the category of "good things about her"?!?
We are currently negotiating about what project she wants to be all hers to sew. I plan to assess her abilities and decide what kind of a project would be best suited for her.

20 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I do know the white co is known for its quality. So wonderful that she has found a good home!

Missy Shay said...

How fun! I want a blue sewing machine so bad! The old ones are the best!

Ellen said...

It is a gorgeous machine and looks like it has never been used. I am sure the two of you will become great friends!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

My Mom had a White machine; they are suppose to be good ones!! I love her color.

Judy D in WA said...

Your machine is a beast! I love these old heavy machines. They never give up. They love to be cleaned and oiled and sewn with.

Quilt n Queen said...

She's a real beauty Kathy. I'm sure she will be 'purring like a kitten' for a long time. Have some fun with your new friend...have a wonderful weekend!! Happy stitching, Pauline

pcflamingo said...

Heavy, all-metal, original manual, box of accessories, blue & shiny ... all good. It sounds like it was meant to be.

Janet O. said...

Kathy, Kathy, Kathy, what are we going to do about you and your machines? Absolutely nothing!! Enjoy.
This looks like a beauty and a bargain--I think you did well, but I also wonder if Bonnie is a bad influence on you. No more Quilt-Cam for you this month, and straight to bed after supper!! *LOL*

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Very much like my 'Victor' machine, only mine had already had the motor removed when I got it, and it is now a treadle. Mine is a post WWII machine from Japan. Probably from in the early to mid 1950's. That is usually when they started adding fun colors to the machines, instead of just black machines. Based on the Singer 15 model machines. http://cherylsteapots2quilting.blogspot.com/2013/07/victor-my-latest-machine.html

Deb A said...

Sounds like it was waiting for you to bring her home! How about some practice with Ohmygosh and then she is ready for the new Mystery in November? I can't wait.... .which means I have 4 weeks to get Easy Street quilted and bound.

Jan said...

Your new baby does look brand new. Glad that you treated yourself. I'm sure you two will be very happy together!

Jean said...

I had a similar find over the summer...it's pretty and blue like this, but can't remember if it's a white...I need to get it out and see. It sews like a charm, though I haven't actually used it on a project yet. Lucky you!

Doniene said...

What a BEAUTY!!! I love it!!! You've got yourself a winner!! Can't wait to see what you sew up with such "precision"!!!!

Blessings

Lesley said...

She sure is pretty! I bet she has an awesome straight stitch!

margaret said...

what a good find. Wondering does it work as machines cease up if not used, I found that with my janome, did not use it for a few years and had to get a man in, it took him quite a while, reminds me should get it out and give it another run use the bernina all the time now.

Kate said...

Ooh, she's a pretty girl! Love the pearly blue color. Looking forward to seeing what her first project will be.

sunny said...

She's a beauty! I don't know how you held out as long as you did. Happy sewing.

Karen said...

I like the color of the machine and I think it was a very good buy. I would have purchased it.

June said...

I had a machine exactly like that when I was learning to sew. It was my first machine, and I had to trade it in when mother bought me a zig zag machine in 1967. I was just a teenager at the time. Boy how I wish I could have kept that old machine. It would be perfect for piecing now. Oh well....

Deanna W said...

You can never have too many machines, can you? And I agree with Janet O, is Bonnie a bad/good influence? hmm not sure! My mother too has a white but her's is grey/white in colour and in a cabinet.Those old machines are work horses with no plastic at all. Glad it was still there for you to bring home to love!