Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Hexagon Quilts

Did you enjoy the Be a Hexie Queen blog hop in the summer??!  The funniest thing for me about that blog hop was realizing as I visited the blogs and saw the projects, that I have made many hexie quilts over the years that I have totally forgotten about! Yep...the memory is a goin'!

One of my first quilts was an "I Spy" hexagon project that I made for my children when they were preschoolers. The pattern is from the book "P.S. I Love You Two". 
We always called it "The Sick Day" quilt, and it was only brought out when the kids were sick and home from school. They enjoyed looking at all the pictures, and at one point in time my daughter made a check list of the images that they could search for.
I loved making that quilt and it is a sweet (much washed!) reminder of when they were young and brought home all kinds of various illnesses for the family to experience!



I have also made many different miniature hexagon quilts using a strip piecing technique that I enjoy. 
This quilt is less than 12" across, and is one that I still haven't finished. I keep thinking I want to add buttons and beads, and maybe some applique.




During the hexagon blog hop I was also thinking about my friend Nancy's amazing hexagon quilt. She has been working on this quilt for years, collecting bits and pieces from her friends and stitching a little bit at a time. She calls this her "funeral quilt" which she says is coming with her!  She doesn't know it but for sure I'm not letting that happen! It is gorgeous!

Tomorrow I will write about another hexagon quilt I came across last month. But now, I must get something done today besides blogging!

9 comments:

Mary said...

I hear you, I've been blogging all morning. I found the Hexie clock that Bonnie Hunter talked about at IKEA! I was surprised, it's only $15. Too bad I didn't have room for it to come home with me.

Kindred Quilts said...

Long live hexie quilts! Love 'em all!

Ellen said...

I love hexi quilts but I have only made one so far. I hand-pieced and hand-quilted it and gave it to my Mom for Mother's Day several years ago. Maybe it is time to make another one!

Lesley said...

You have some great projects, I have some hexies on the go, but not sure what I am going to do with them. Thanks for the inspiration to make more!

Grit said...

Wow they are so fantastic. I love them all.
Grit from Germany

margaret said...

the I spy quilt is something very special.

I have just bought a sizzix big shot and today the hexagon dies arrived so have no excuse for not getting on with a project that is when I work out the instructions for the machine!

Kate said...

The "I Spy" quilt is fun. What a great set of memories.

Angie in SoCal said...

What a wonderful story with that I Spy quilt. The other is gorgeous!

Dolores said...

I love your I Spy quilt. I plan on making one for my little grandson when he graduates to a big bed.
Personally, I think you should just finish your pretty little mini. It has so much charm just as it is and doesn't need any embellishment.