Saturday, October 05, 2013

Scrappy Saturday

Not being sure of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge colour for October, plus my need to clean up the studio, has given me a chance to get my scraps more organized and to start a new project. (Bet you didn't see that coming!! LOL)
For a long time I have wanted to make an OMIGOSH quilt.
Every time I see one in real life, I think "that is so me". I save such tiny scraps and I could really make a whole quilt out of these little bits. 
I recently finally found the pattern by Sue Garman and apparently I am getting myself organized for yet another multi year project. I am anticipating that one of my crazy friends will have to eventually take over this perpetual UFO, since the amount of work involved is astronomical and will not likely be finished in my lifetime!  But hey, I love a challenge. Especially one involving 1" strips to make a 1.5" finished 9 patch block...CUTE CUTE CUTE
So, that is going to be my one of my projects for the rainbow scrap challenge - the make tiny 9 patches in the colour of the month for my OMIGOSH quilt. These are my first 2 light blue blocks. Now I only need a trillion billion more! 


And while I'm doing that, I will keep on adding to my regular leader/ender projects. Here are a few more light blue spools and a couple Alamo Stars.
Hop over to SoScrappy and see what other blocks are being sewn.

18 comments:

Ellen said...

Oh My Gosh is right!! The blocks are just so darn cute... thinking... thinking...trying to resist.

scraphappy said...

A new level of craziness emerges! They are SO cute though. You will be amazed at how easy it is to collect tiny 1 inch strips. Strangely relaxing too to put them all together.

Dolores said...

What you could do is, if you already know your layout (and even if you don't), sew them together as you go or sew them together once you get 10 done. That way you can see your progress in an instant and can stop if you like it as a lap quilt or keep going.

Deb A said...

Oh my Gosh is right! Those are so teeny tiny. Hmmmmm I really do need to cut up the stash and I know they'll be lots of 1 inches left..... thinking....... no I am going to try and resist. (But maybe I'll send a few up to you!)

Julie in GA said...

That is such a beautiful quilt pattern. I am in awe every time I see one, and look forward to watching your progress.

LuAnn said...

I have that pattern, and it's on my To Do Someday List. Most of my quilting things are in storage, but I seem to remember a bag of 1" strips that I cut to start this. I'll keep watching your progress. I have a friend who finished this quilt, and it is gorgeous.

julieQ said...

I love that pattern!! How many blocks would you have to do each day, to have the quilt done in a year? I have always wanted to do that quilt!! hmmmmmmm

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I hope you share LOTS of pictures along the way on this one~

Josie said...

Only a trillion billion more.... so you'll be finished for Christmas... right? ;o)) Love this quilt and much kudos to you for even thinking of making it!

Judy Dietrich said...

What a great plan to "attack" this pattern. Those little 9 patches are just so sweet. I have seen this quilt finished, and it will be worth the work. It can be done in so many colorways. I could spend my entire life trying to make all of her great patterns!!!

Janet O. said...

I love this quilt! I'll be cheering you on!

Sheila said...

Love these tiny blocks. I'll be watching your progress : )

Angie said...

Oh - watching this unfold will be fun!!

Kate said...

Oh so tiny, but oh so cute. It will be fun to see all your little blocks come together over the next year.

margaret said...

so very very tiny, I have never seen such tiny blocks, it will take for ever to do this quilt

FeatherDuster said...

I would think you might have a touch of insanity, except for the fact that I'm sitting here hand-piecing a queensize courthouse steps quilt from strips that same same.

I can tell you this...after you make a few of those teeny blocks, any piece of fabric bigger than 1.5" is going to seem HUGE.

I should never have looked on here. Now I'm thinking those 9-patch blocks would be the perfect way to use up the leftovers I have which are too short for my blocks. Oh no! :O

SandraC said...

I made this quilt a few years ago and still love it and am in awe everytime I see one! The worst part for me was the little 4-patches set on point, so one weekend my family was away and I settled in to get them all done that weekend. I am actually entering quilts in to our local fair today, and this is one of the quilts I am entering! Wish me luck!

Lesley said...

Looks like a challenging project with Omigosh! But I know you can do it! Enjoy!