Sunday, November 17, 2013

Slow Sunday Stitching - For your health

I think you can consider participating in  Slow Sunday Stitching as important as a prescription from your Doctor. If you are not stitching along with us, it could be hazardous to your health! 
From BeliefNet

Don't believe me? 

Read this amazing post "The Lost Practice of Resting One Day Each Week" by Joshua Becker (and note the completely ad-free blog... love it!)



In this current fast-paced world where everyone is connected 24/7, where stores are open 24 hours a day - 7 days a week, where many of us work shift work, and where very few people make it a priority to have a "day of rest", we have forgotten the importance of rest.


Thinking about resting will not help you feel rested!

Thinking about doing some hand stitching will not give you the benefits of actually doing it. 

Reading about the wonderful slow stitching projects of others will give you a wee bit of benefit in terms of inspiration, but it will not help as much as actually doing your own slow stitching on your very own project, for your own health benefits!                              



You actually have to DO it!!

I am practicing what I am preaching believe me! I am resting and slow stitching today. There are only a few more rows to quilt on this project, and I am feeling so happy about it and enjoying each relaxing stitch! 


Breathing...  stitching... relaxing.... ahhhhh...



Today, I challenge you to get out a project you can enjoy and put some stitches in it. Just start with a few stitches, and you will begin to relax, and you'll remember how much your life NEEDS the benefits of hand stitching. 
And your rested, healthier body will thank you. 
Link up your blog post below and share how you are stitching and resting and experiencing the benefits!




11 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I bookmarked his blog...oh how we always forget to be mindful and live in the moment ( I do anyway ! :) so reminders about that are always good to read.

Denise :) said...

It is a lovely, quiet, and peaceful way to spend a day/afternoon, isn't it? I totally agree with you on the benefits! Enjoy! :)

Ellen said...

You are very wise...enjoy your day of rest!

Browndirtcottage said...

Yes…Yes….soooo true!! I am slowly hand appliquéing today…..resting!

Just a note, if by chance you follow me somewhere…Bloglovin, Feedly, etc…….you will not be able to find me anymore unless you change my blog address to
browndirtcottage.blogspot.com.
My domain .com expired and it's just like my blog disappeared from the face of blogland…..sigh

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I feel rested just looking at your beautiful quilt Kathy! I'm hoping to try hand quilting next year on a table topper or wall quilt.

Terri in BC said...

Hi, Kathy: Thank you for the timely reminder to slow down. I've been trying to make a more conscious effort myself to recharge.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I agree with you about slowing down and enjoying a few stitches. It becomes habitual and it is amazing at what you can get done in few minutes here or there. I think, with this fast paced world we live in, it is exactly what we need.

Jill said...

All day yesterday, while hanging Christmas lights and yard tidying up, I was thinking, "I want to rest and sew." However, an unseasonable 60 degree day called for me to work outdoors after church. Thank you for reminding us to slow down, and thanks for link to day of rest website.

Paula@TheSassyQuilter said...

Are you saying it is hard to finish a quilt you are not working on, ha ha:) love these HST's, one of these is on my list of must make quilts. Thanks for the inspiration.

Ivani said...

Atypical weekend here. Taking advantage of the Holiday + weekend a couple of friends came to visit us.
We talked and laughed a lot. However I found some time to baste more hexies for my red and white flowers. Thanks for the inspiration and reminder. Have a great week.

Kate said...

Great advice. I should set aside more time for the hand work, but it's hard when Sunday is the one day I usually get to really sew.