Thursday, September 25, 2014

Ready for quilting

It's that time of the year when the days become shorter and the temperatures are dropping. And that means I need to have a larger hand quilting project in my hoop.
This is a block sampler project from a shop hop last year in the Kingston area. I turned these blocks into a quilt top using a star sashing and it has been waiting for quilting.

This project is on my 2014 UFO list, and I should really be working on my September UFO. But this quilt won't leave me alone! And it insists on being hand quilted. 

So I have been pin basting it this week and thinking about how I will quilt it. 

I think I will just quilt 1/4" inside the seam lines without marking. I have the threads all picked out and am going to be bold with using a red and a blue coloured thread, even on light patches. And since I am using these thicker threads, I will try bigger stitches using an embroidery needle. We shall see how that goes! Stay tuned...

17 comments:

margaret said...

best of luck with the hand quilting, I have just hand quilted one and although the stitches are a bit too big and vary in size my daughter Helen loves it, I know have sore fingers but it was worth it cannot seem to find a thimble that fits

moosecraft said...

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this as I always have trouble deciding how to quilt my patchwork tops...

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I just love that top ... the pieced sashing really makes it, doesn't it? I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of this gorgeous quilt on Sunday's. I can't wait to see your progress!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your sashing and borders are perfect for the blocks...they make the whole quilt sing! I can understand why this quilt wants to be hand quilted!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks wonderful and I will be watching the progress. I have several applique quilts and hand piecing to keep me busy all winter and maybe two winters at that LOL - a good time to work on them with the winter coming and the new seasons of tv shows back on

ES said...

Oh exciting! Can't wait to see how it turns out :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sounds like a good plan to me (the non-hand quilter).

Daylight hours here are decreasing, too . . .

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your sampler quilt top is beautiful!
Enjoy the hand quilting process!
I look forward to following your progress.

Scrappy quilter said...

I really like your sampler quilt.

Julierose said...

Beautiful quilt top, Kathy! I just really love that star sashing--it pulls it all together so nicely, hugs, Julierose

Nana said...

Lovely quilt top. I like the idea of bolder quilting threads. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Janet O. said...

Doesn't that fun sashing just change the whole look of a quilt? Love it!
Good luck on your big stitch quilting. I really struggle to keep the "big stitches" big and even. I worked so hard to get tiny hand quilting stitches that now big stitching seems counter-intuitive and I struggle to maintain it. : )

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

it's the rich warm colors..that's why it wants quilted in the fall ! :)

Rebecca in AK said...

A very lovely quilt top! I really like the sashing. I did something similar with my Wonky Wishes blocks. I like your idea of the red and blue quilting thread.

Sheila said...

I really love how you sashed your your sampler blocks. Good ideas about it's quilting.

Mary said...

When the quilt talks sometimes you have to listen. It's going to be nice when it's done. Just a few more days in September.

Kate said...

Have fun with the hand work. Sounds like you have a great plan worked out for the quilting.