Saturday, July 18, 2015

Scrappy Saturday

These are the newest Alamo star blocks that have been sewn as a real leader-ender project, while I was sewing my tumblers as a fake leader-ender project! It's really hard to resist when a project takes over your sewing brain, which is what happened with my mini tumble.

To see more red scrap projects being sewn this month, hop over to SoScrappy.
Today I am in Michigan learning about the maintenance and restoration of human powered vintage sewing machines. It sounds very "geek like" when I say this out loud to someone who is "normal", but this stuff just "turns my crank"... LOL! That's a funny joke for quilters who love hand crank machines :)

I'm also doing a hand quilting demo with Cheryl, so I'm taking my Mini Tumble to quilt. Cheryl is a 'stabber' and I'm a 'rocker' (hmmm.... now that's a sentence you don't hear every day!) so we'll be a good combination to demo these techniques. 

20 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

A stabber and a rocker--only a quilter would know these terms

scraphappy said...

Really smart to quilt those tumblers right in the middle. I was wondering how you would get around all those seams. Have fun rocking and stabbing! So many fun quilting related activities.

The Cozy Quilter said...

We are all addicted! Rock on!

Deb A said...

Such fun terms only quilters (and SO's) know! Hope you stab and rock with lots of laughter.

Mari said...

Very cute stars! Have fun--you're never too old to rock!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm all about small scale sewing, but those Tiny Tumblers simply take the cake!!

Julierose said...

Cute Alamo Stars on those batiks...hugs, Julierose

gayle said...

I adore all the tiny! Rock on, indeed!

Mary said...

I haven't started the Tumblers. Your Minis are sew Cute! I like seeing your Alamo stars in Pink today! Have fun learning Hand Cranks, inside & out!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Enjoy your class and happy stitching!

Teresa said...

I am a stabbed too, but have not met anyone else that uses this method. It's so much easier on my hands.

Jo said...

And you have a lot of seams to go through too. Tough fingers

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ha Ha - A real leader/ender and a fake leader/ender!!! I like your stars!

Vickie said...

Are you rockin' and stabbin' in hoops or just lettin' it all hang out?

Kate said...

Hope your class was really good and that you got in a lot of stitching.

Kaja said...

Hope you enjoyed your day of vintage machines - sounds to me like a great way to spend your time. Red isn't one of my favourite colours but I love the little stars - you have teamed them up with other colours really effectively.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

It was so much fun to meet you in person. Loved your tumbler mini quilt.

Sheila said...

Your mini tumbler piece is soooo cute! I'm still cutting out tumblers.

Magpie Sue said...

I think many of us have experienced the phenomenon of having one project take over when another was meant to be the center of attention. I know I have!

Cathy said...

Cute Tumblers. I really want to try them but...

I sometimes rock, sometimes stab. Trying to always just rock. Rock on!