Wednesday, November 01, 2017

New Mystery Quilt!

Did you see that Bonnie Hunter has posted the fabric requirements for her 2017/18 mystery quilt adventure? 


The new mystery is called On Ringo Lake. I have sewn almost every Quiltville mystery that Bonnie has offered (my pre-2014 mystery quilts and the 2014/15 finishes). I think the only one I missed was Old Tobacco Road in 2005. 



This year I finished 2014's mystery called Grand Illusion. I didn't really follow the pattern since I didn't like one of my original fabric choices (a very flat dull green) and so I had to remove the sashing to get rid of the green. Then I lost a few pieces (hey it happens over the years!) and had to change the border, and well... it's finally a finished quilt!



This is my quilt top from the 2016 mystery called En Provence. I used mostly fabrics from the Good Neighbours fabrics line by Amanda Jean Nyberg at Crazy Mom Quilts. I enjoyed the method of starting with a package of fabric that I love, and adding scraps and pieces that coordinate as I see how much fabric is needed in each colour. I really, really like how this one turned out and will be putting it on the top of my UFO list to finish in 2018. 

So, back to planning for the new 2017 mystery quilt. Again, I am going to start the mystery using a lovely bundle of fabric and then add in pieces and scraps from my stash. This is a fabric line called Blue Sky by Edyta Sitar. I purchased the bundle at Cherished Pieces in Tillsonburg. I think this is the perfect project for using up this treasure!
Are you joining in the mystery this year? It's so fun not having any idea what we are sewing! Be prepare for lots of cutting and sewing of small pieces (my favourite!) as well as complex block construction made easy with great instructions! 
Counting down the days to the start of step #1 on November 24th! I have a few other things to keep me out of trouble until then! LOLOLOLOL!!!

15 comments:

Alison V. said...

I haven't ever participated in one of Bonnie's mysteries, but I have watched from afar for years! I think this might be the year to participate. The simpler color palette this year has me intrigued!

Monica said...

Yes, I'm in too! My colours will be similar to yours, with cool blues instead of aqua.

Sherry said...

Your post has inspired me to visit Bonnie's blog post and start thinking about the colors I will use for this quilt. I have watched others participate in the mystery quilts and think it is time to join in.

Janet O. said...

That bundle will make a gorgeous quilt, whatever the pattern.
I barely have time to breath between Halloween and New Years. There is no way on earth I could keep up with one of Bonnie's mysteries during that time, but I have made a couple after the fact. And I always enjoy seeing how you tweak yours. It inspires me. :)

Mary said...

I have made a few of the Quiltville Mysteries. I'm pulling fabrics, gotta go get the 'real color cards'. That means a drive, darn & a possible quilt shop visit for some Coral and Aqua. I have plenty of the other colors. My favorite time except for family time.

Frances Meredith said...

I love your Grand Illusion - the best I have seen, great job.
I don't think I can manage another Mystery this year, but look forward to seeing yours grow.

gayle said...

Oh, I love that Edyta bundle! Your quilt is going to be gorgeous!
I've done the last two mysteries, and I plan to play again this year. I like the idea of people all over the world working together and making the same quilt.

swooze said...

Only a few??

Lisa in Port Hope said...

I need to finish up EnProvence too, I was planning to resist jumping in because I don't get much else done during December but I may succumb... Have fun!

Kate said...

Your En Provence turned out so pretty! I really like your color choices for last year's mystery. I haven't yet had a chance to paw through the stash and see what I've got to work with for this year's mystery.

Deanna W said...

I have been collecting batiks in sand, sun and water colours. Perfect for this mystery. Although I don't normally work in batiks I think this will be the perfect quilt for them. I may have to invest in some brown however. I am really trying not to shop/buy but sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do!!!

Kristin said...

I'm joining Bonnie's mystery quilt for the first time ever!! :o

Jo said...

I will be watching on. I haven't got time to sew along this time .

Ellen said...

Your Grand Illusion looks great and I am looking forward to seeing your En Provence finished - it really is pretty.

I like your idea of starting with a grouping of matching fabrics from one fabric line as a base to work from. I will have to think about that.

Daffycat said...

I finished en Provence by April, I think. It was my first mystery quilt. I was really looking forward to this years...we will see how much I am able to do with a broken arm!