Saturday, November 11, 2017

Scrappy Saturday - All Tied Up in Knots!

For the rest of the year, the Rainbow Scrap Quilters are encouraged to finish up some of their scrappy projects. That is my downfall. I love to use up crumbs and scraps, and sew them into interesting blocks, but then there are all those hard decisions about how to get them into a finished quilt.
At the end of last year, with a lot of effort I was able to finish my Spools quilt top... and even though a whole year has passed, it's still just a quilt top. UGH! For that project I need to purchase a large hand quilting batt, and get it pin basted.
I had a serious talk with myself about setting some goals to finish some of my Rainbow Scrap quilts. I cannot start next year with the same list of unfinished projects as I started this year with!!!
So this month I'm going to focus on my collection of Knot blocks. The pattern is from the Quiltmaker's 100 blocks magazine, issue #3. Did you catch that? Issue THREE! That's how long ago it was that I started this project. 2012! 5 years of indecision is long enough! 
I was going to finish this with the quilt-as-you-go method but I already have another labour intensive QAYG project on the go and it will take at least another year to finish. 
So I'm going to just take the next steps to move this project closer to completion. I found some fun sashing and border fabric and hope to get these blocks sewn into a quilt top soon. 
To see more Rainbow Scrap projects on their way to becoming finished quilts, hop over to the weekly link up.

27 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

These blocks will soon be a quilt top!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That is going to be a lovely quilt. You might consider sending some of the QALs to a longarmer and just get them off your mind. Your hand quilting is gorgeous, but it takes so long you could just do the ones you really care about.

julieQ said...

You go, girl! Get er dun! Love this quilt!

scraphappy said...

Hurray for finishing! It makes less guilt when the new projects pop up.

Kate said...

Exactly! RSC blocks are like potato chips, you can just make and make them. But trying to get them into finished quilt has been a challenge. Good luck with your RSC plans for November. I finished my RSC from 2012 last month. Still have 4 others that need to be finished. You are not alone.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

I'm sure you'll get this one done soon! It'll be such a happy quilt to work with that you will move right along! What fun sashing fabricss :-). If it's any comfort...you're not that far behind...I've got one on the wall from 2003 right now. Hoping to get the top finished today and get it off to a quilter so it'll get done quickly LOL! We need to live closer to spur each other on!!

Jennifer said...

your fabric choices are PERFECT! it's so exciting when we find a finishing fabric like that, isn't it? and don't worry about all those RSC blocks that aren't into a top yet- hey, at least you're in good company! haha!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are great blocks and I love the sashing choices you found! Have fun with your finishing!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your knot blocks - eventually you will get all quilted - I guess those of us that make so many quilts and like to hand quilt them just need to slow down making the big quilt tops! I feel I will never catch up at times and think that I have to start more challenging quilt tops that are smaller than queen size so it will take me a long time to piece the tops while I get the hand quilting done on others - that way the tops will not be multiplying while I quilt - if that makes any sense!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I love that quilt. I actually have some of that same fabric for backing my 2015 RSC quilt...which isn't done yet!

Mari said...

Super-cute blocks! These will make a great quilt. Love the fabrics for the sashing, too. I also have several unfinished RSC projects. . .from 2015 and before. I think all the cool kids do. :)

Marly said...

What a delightful block pattern; these blocks are going to make a wonderful quilt. You're not the only one with a pile of tops patiently waiting; here's another!

maggie fellow said...

every step forward is important, no matter if it is finished

Cathy said...

I can do a few of them for you, if you like. I don’t have a wait list, at the moment, so they’d be done and off your back.

AnnieO said...

Love the knot blocks! I always get stuck at the quilting phase. So much more fun to sew the blocks up! I'm with you on not wanting to end up with the same list of UFOs I started with at the beginning of the year. Ugh.

Katie Z. said...

Your rainbow fabrics are going to match perfectly with your blocks. You can do it.

Cathy said...

You can do this! Just think, you’re so near the finish line! Its going to be beautiful!

Cathy said...

Perfect sashing and border fabrics! You go, girl!

Cathy Tomm said...

Love your knot blocks. Yes finishing is hard for me too. I have one so very close, I have it on the list to be at least a finished top by year end.

Sally Trude said...

What wonderful backing fabrics to go with such a great collection of blocks.

Monica said...

Well, those were two great finds for your rainbow quilt! It's going to be really cheerful and uplifting. :D

Mystic Quilter said...

Backing fabric couldn't be better for this quilt!

Janet O. said...

I do love these blocks--and the fabrics for sashing and border are very fun! So perfect, too! :)

Julie in GA said...

I remember these blocks--I loved them back then and I still love them!
Great fabric choices for the sashing and borders!

Angie said...

What fun to see the Knot blocks again! I look forward to seeing how you finish them. I know what you mean about finishing projects (RSC & otherwise)! I feel like I've been working toward finishing several projects all year, but my UFO list doesn't seem to shrink!

Sheila said...

Love those colorful knot blocks.
I have made a lot of colorful, fun RSC quilts over the years. People seem to love and use them when I give them away.

Ellen said...

I love the fabric you have chosen to finish up your quilt. Your quilt is going to be so pretty!